Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Slice of Life - One Week From Today




Slice of Life is sponsored every Tuesday by Stacey and Ruth from Two Writing Teachers


Yesterday I worked in my classroom some more, setting up this library that is overflowing. I worked and thought of my old class and the new one coming. I thought about how cyclical teaching is. How much I love my class from the moment I know they are mine until the time they leave me and forever more. This poem popped in my mind and I thought I’d share.

One week from today,
School begins.
Excited
Nervous
Possibility.

One day from today
I will see my class list.
Seventy-five names
Will immediately be mine.
Love.

Seventy-seven days ago
My heart broke.
As I said goodbye
To a wonderful class.
Tears.

One week ago
I mailed them letters.
Wishing them well.
Saying a final goodbye.
Love.

One day from now.
I will mail my new class letters.
Welcoming them to our room.
Building a relationship.
Love.